The tour of the exhibition begins with the most ancient times. First humans appeared in this area around 12 000 years BC, by the end of the Paleolithic period. The archeological exhibition of the Vistula Museum begins with this period. The end of Paleolith and Mesolith are represented by a number of flint objects: part-processed flint from the end of Paleolith, arrows with flint heads.
Neolithic objects on the exhibition are flint and stone items (most characteristic of them – an axe from Rębowo and a stone hatchet from Bulkowo, but also other products of material culture: stone grinders from Miszewko-Stefanów and Miszewko Strzałkowskie as well as a flint stone used to ignite fire from Miszewko-Stefanów) and also clay products. The Neolith is a period, when ceramics appeared in the area of current Poland. In the Vistula Museum, a number of ceramic products from Gródków are presented in an arrangement of a grave from the Globular Amphora culture.
The Bronze period is represented in the area of the Wyszogród Land by the Lusatian culture. On the exhibition, some vessels typical for this culture in the Mazovia region are presented.
Very large space is devoted to the cultures of the La Tène period and the period of Roman influences. Several objects from this time are presented. Among them, there are clay ashtrays from Miszewo Murowane dated to 2nd/1st century BC and a clay vessel from Kępa Polska from the 1st century BC, an iron pin from Miszewo Murowane from the early La Tène period, fragments of fibulas (brooches) from Rębowo dated to 2nd/3rd century AD. In the Wyszogród Land during the period of Roman influences, the most significant was the Przeworsk culture. On the exhibition, one can find clay vessels of this culture along with javelin heads from Marcjanka and Podmarsczyn in the Dzierzążnia community from the 2nd-4th century together with a bronze fitting of the ending of a belt and a chunk of molten bronze. People of the Przeworsk culture migrated from the Wyszogród Land to the areas of the Black Sea steppelands in the time called by historians the Migration Period. From this time originates the fragment of a buckle from Wyszogród and the fitting of the ending of a belt from Rębowo.
The further period in the history of our land is the early Middle Ages. During this period, demographic changes occured in the area, resulting in repercussions occuring even nowadays. The Germanic people, who inhabited the Wyszogród Land until the 5th century, were replaced by the people speaking Slavic language. A large part of the exhibition of the Vistula Museum is devoted to the Slavic culture of the early Middle Ages, because a significant number of objects from this period are located in the Wyszogród Land. In Drwały, there is a stronghold researched by archeologists, which originates from the late phase of the early Middle Ages although it was built on the place of an older settlement from the time, when the first Slavs appeared in the Wyszogród Land. Next to a board presenting the history and the results of research in Drwały, the visitors can see a variety of objects creating the material culture of the first Slavs. Presented is a set of clay vessels from the early Medieval stronghold in Drwały. One of them boasts a picture of a Slavic god engraved on the belly of the vessel, probably Perun. Apart from ceramics, on the exhibition one can also find other categories of early Medieval objects from Drwały: a fragment of a quern-stone and a grinder, iron knives, whetstones, a fish scraper made of bone, needles and awls made of bone, fragments of horns with visible marks of processing, a pendant made of a boar’s tusk, clay spindle whorls, bronze temple rings, a bone comb, a fragment of a skate made of bone, fragments of metal decorations, iron arrow heads and a reconstruction of a spindle together with a spindle whorl.
As early as the dwelling in Drwały is also the stronghold in Szeligi. The Vistula Museum in Wyszogród owns a model reconstruction of this settlement created by Włodzimierz Szafrański, borrowed from the Mazovian Museum in Płock, the museum in Płock owns a copy of this model, which is displayed on the exhibition “Ten centuries of Płock”. The exhibition in Wyszogród is enriched by a board devoted to the research of the stronghold in Szeligi created by Waldemar Andrzej Moszczyński from the Archeology Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw.
The early Middle Ages is also the period, when the Wyszogród Land became ruled by the Piasts. Further phases of the early Middle Ages are presented in the following display cases. One can notice the clay vessels from Sobanice and Stanowo, armaments (a spear head from Wyszogród, a javelin head from Podmarszczyn in the Dzierzążnia community together with a fin and a sleeve used for mounting it on a wooden shaft) and other historic objects of the material culture from the oldest period of existence of the Polish state found in the Wyszogród Land. Amon them, there are some knife blades from Wyszogród and Żuków, temple rings from Żuków and Rębowo and a pendant (lunula) from Rębowo. In the same category presented are the objects from the early Medieval graveyard from Sielec: a flint stone and a javelin head.
The high Middle Ages and the early modern period are presented by the exhibition of the most important relics from Wyszogród and its region. Especially interesting are the vessels from the research conducted at the Franciscan monastery in Wyszogród, including two stems of ceramic pipes. A large set is comprised of objects from the Castle Hill in Wyszogród, in which, among clay vessels, one can notice metal relics: boatbuilder nails, iron keys, sickles and a fragment of a comb made of bone. Military objects include two spurs and a head of a halberd. Especially worth attention is the late Medieval hatchet from Czerwińsk nad Wisłą and fragments of a fitting of a travelling bag from the area of Wyszogród.
The material culture of the turn of the early modern period is presented by means of a set of objects obtained during excavations in the settlement no. 8 in Kobylniki. Apart from ceramic vessels from the 16th and 17th centuries, also presented are the most interesting metal items excavated during the research, unveiling a rather chronologically long period, from the 16th up to the 19th century. Those include a coin – a penny of Krystyna Wazówna, work tools, a fragment of horse-riding equipment, elements of an uniform, military objects, fittings, cutlery and a fragment of an iron cauldron.
Among the objects presented in the Vistula Museum, the creators of the exhibition did not forget the specific collecting category – the numismatics. Coins from the area of the Wyszogród Land are separately presented in one of the exhibition’s display cases. Those are usually Polish coins used between the 15th and the first half of the 19th century: denars, pennies and shillings, but on the exhibition there are also imported coins, which were used in our lands or arrived in Mazovia together with their owners of foreign ethnicity. Those are the Teutonic ducats from the 15th century, Russian kopecks from the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century and the Gdańsk pfennigs from 1926 as well as German marks minted in 1935. The whole is complemented by an early modern clay money-box discovered on the Castle Hill in Wyszogród, filled with the shillings of Jan Kazimierz (so-called “boratynki”), minted by the royal mint in the years 1659-1668.